:: User Login ::    :: Create User Account ::

Monday November 20 2017 

Featured Sponsors Club Meadowvale Ontario Racquet Club mySportSite

110028 visitors
since August 31, 2011


RSS Feed

News


Applewood Tennis Club: 2017 Annual General Meeting Minutes – September 23, 2017
Oct 8, 2017, 1:15 am

Applewood Tennis Club: 2017 Annual General Meeting

Minutes

 

 

Attending

 

Blair Seckington

 

President

 

Janet Brown

 

Social

 

Daniel Vieyra

 

Facilities

Roland Verkaik

Juniors

Jim Zou

Treasurer

 

 

 

Absent With Regrets

 

Moy Fung

 

Membership

 

Mirella Vlasov

 

VP, Admin

 

Radu Dragomir

 

Membership  Associate

Janice Papineau

Secretary

Ovidiu Bob

Communications

Murray Pinto

Teams

           

                                     

Annual General Meeting Minutes

 

  1. 1.       The President welcomed members attending and he introduced the current Executive Committee. Members were asked if anyone wanted to add any items to the agenda. The 2016 Annual General Meeting Minutes were given to members to peruse. Moved the minutes to be accepted by Kent Newell and seconded by Rod Nagano. All agreed.

 

  1. 2.       President’s Report – The President’s Report was reviewed with members. Overall Blair felt it was a good, but not great, year with no complaints to him. He noted that membership was down again, but finances were still solid. Teams, house leagues and round robins all had good seasons. No major projects were implemented.

 

  1. 3.       Financial Overview – The Interim Treasurers Report was reviewed with members. Jim advised that the Applewood Tennis Club had about $104,000 in the bank but there are expenses owing and the balance is expected to drop to about $97,000 by the year-end. Most of the money saved will be used for court resurfacing at some future date.

 

  1. 4.       Executive Reports – Copies of the Executive reports were discussed and available for review on the Bulletin Board by the members at meeting. They’ll be posted on website later next month. Each director reviewed their report with the members and some highlights are as follows:

           

Junior Development – Roland advised that we had 2 male Junior League ITCA teams (15 boys) and 1 female team (5 girls). There was a fair turnout (28) for the Junior clinics. The summer program had 42 participants in 8 skill levels (fewer than 2016). The Junior Round Robin program continued on Fridays this year from 3 to 5. The Junior Club Tournament had 43 singles and 17 doubles teams participate, although it had a low participation in the female division.

 

Facilities – Daniel was very pleased with the work of the attendants this year. They kept the court clean and there were no complaints from the general membership. About $1800   was collected due to the sales of snacks, etc. One member asked about the courts screens that need to be replaced. Roland stated that they would be purchased for next year. Tree over court 2 was trimmed back. Lights were still an issue on northeast of Court 3. Axel suggested that the breakers were overheating and need replacement.

 

Membership – There were 404 members this year. This is about same as last year, with junior membership continuing to drop slightly. The report presents a distribution curve..

 

Communications – Ovidiu had a busy season sending out emails and up-dating the website to keep the members up to date during the season. The web site continues to get significant exposure, over 100,000 hits. The nasty review of our club by Yelp is still active and some action is required. The membership was encouraged to write some positive reviews to show our club in a positive light.

 

Social – Janet had six events, including two potluck round robins which were very successful. She and others suggested that emails be sent out as reminders one week ahead of events. She thanked Zen for all his BBQ help. Blair thanked Janet for her efforts, as she is leaving the ole this year (but still willing to help new person).

 

  1. 5.       Member Issues

Squirrels building nests in awnings – take down in 2018.

Resurfacing courts – Repainting originally shown as 2018, is likely not required until 2020. Some issues were identified with uneven Court 3 to 6 surfaces (not much can be done) and some cracking in Courts 1 to 3 that should be filled and painted.

Friendlies

  • Ladies Friendlies – Repeated requested for 3 courts on Tuesday and Thursday mornings in 2018 as in 2017. Courts are fully utilized.
  • Men’s Friendlies – Many men wanting to play and 3 courts not enough on Tuesdays and Thursday. No action had been taken last year after discussion about moving the men to another morning or splitting the morning into 2 time slots such  
  • as 8 to 10 and 10 to 12. It was suggested maybe Monday, Wednesday and Friday might work, but it was pointed out that three courts are for Ladies ICTA team practices Monday morning 8:30 to 11:00 and for ICTA games every other Wednesday 9;00 to 12:00. Friday is open and should be an option. Executive will talk to Walter about this option next year.

Great to see as many men and women interested in regularly attending the Friendlies.

 

  1. 6.       Elections – Mirella was acclaimed as President (although some issue with attendance at meeting and may have to be appointed by Executive). Blair was acclaimed as VP, Administration. Daniel Vieyra, Jim Zou, Janice Papineau, Roland Verkaik, Murray Pinto, and Ovidio Bob were all acclaimed in their current positions.  

Vacancies exist for Membership Director (Radu Dragomir will help), Tournaments Director, and Social Director.

  1. 7.       Thanks to Outgoing Executive – Blair thanked Moy and Janet for their contributions.

 

  1. 8.       Other Issues

Flooring and Painting – No action since there was no committee..

ROPSSAA Rental – Blair informed everyone that on September 27th and on Oct 4th the local high school students from Peel will be using our facility from 7:30 to 5:00. The dates        are posted inside and outside the building, as well as rain dates (September 29th and Oct 5th).

Pocock High School Rental – Blair informed everyone that on September 14 to 28 the    local high school students will be using our facility from 2:30 to 4:30 Monday to Thursdays. The dates are posted inside and outside the building.

Christmas Dinner event – Roland asked whether there was interest this year at One Health. Membership indicated yes. Needs publicity. Details to follow. After the club house closes, please call Roland directly.

Divider Nets – New divider nets will be ordered this fall for next year by Roland.

Squeegees – New/better squeegees needed. Only one supplier. Mop alternative rejected.

City Parking – Need to contact city re parking – no school parking in day, reduced street parking.

Bubble – Valley’s Park – Suggested support, given Brampton has a municipal bubble. History discussed. Support if raised by MCTA, but agreed extremely unlikely.

New/better squeegees needed. Only one supplier. Mop alternative rejected.

Guest fees – The guest fee amount was lowered to $5 from at $10.

More Tournaments Needed- This will happen next year if we have a Tournament Director.

  1. 9.       Meeting Adjourned – At 4:00 pm, Kent moved it and Axel seconded it. All agreed.

 

 

 


Tennis Courts Use Hours
Jul 5, 2017, 12:17 am
Tennis play is not allowed before 8 am or after 11 pm. Our neighbours do not appreciate play at 6 or 7 am and have advised they will call the City and/or police. Please respect their right to reasonable play times and our lease terms - no earlier than 8 am.

Blair Seckington
President, Applewood Tennis Club
3525 Pinesmoke Cres
Mississauga, Ont 
L4Y 3L4
905-277-3051 cell 647-280-9324

OTA's new on-line magazine, app updates and Rogers Cup offersAfter almost 40 years of publishing history, Ontario Tennis Magazin
Jun 28, 2017, 12:50 am

After almost 40 years of publishing history, Ontario Tennis Magazine has undergone a radical transformation - to a new digital platform! Now launched, the newly-named ONTENNIS

You can access it here www.ontennis.ca

 


2018 Information Available March 20, 2018
Mar 17, 2016, 6:29 pm

After March 20, 2018, check and downloads tab on the left side for uploaded:

  • 2018 Calendar of Events

  • 2018 Membership Booklet

  • 2018 Registration Form

  • 2018 House League Registration Form


2018 Weather - Starting April 2018
Mar 30, 2012, 11:29 pm

If you are planning to play, you can check our website rather than the TV weather forcast now! Just look at the current conditions on the upper right side!